Money's tight . . . It's OK pamper yourself

We’ve all been there, it’s mid month there is another two weeks until pay day and the bank account is pretty bleak to say the least. There seems to be new products coming out left right and centre and sometimes money just will not stretch far enough for the little luxury product we’ve had our eye on, so in honour of our poor times I’ve looked up and tried some DIY skincare that are easy to achieve at home and cheap as chips to make (all sites used for ingredients are linked below).
img_1173
I’ll start with a mint lip scrub that promises to exfoliate, nourish and most importantly for me plump up your lips.
You will need to find in your kitchen:
20g of brown sugar
20ml of olive oil
2-3 drops of peppermint oil (I got mine for 99p off amazon).
Mix them all together and you have yourself a home made lip scrub with the added satisfaction of making it yourself.
Honestly it’s not a very good looking scrub but the strong scent of peppermint mean your going to smell like a polo after use so it has its perks.
The scrub itself is very gentle whilst still giving you the exfoliation needed for smooth lips. It made mine feel a lot softer and the olive oil gave added moisture without leaving my lips greasy.
Plumping wise this was a let down, there was no tingling sensation or any change in the way my lips looked. I also used a lot more drops then the suggested three as I do like to go all out for a promise of fuller lips (without turning to the needle).
Overall the scrub works to exfoliate and gain smoother lips but if you wanted to achieve the plumping effect it may be best to try something else. This is cheap and easy to make and can be knocked up in about two minutes so if your looking for a quick, easy way to improve your lips when your strapped for cash this is effective.
Next up is a hand scrub that I found on a lovely little blog called living thenourishedlife. The author Elizabeth has many DIY recipes and other healthy tips for life. The homemade hand scrub promises soft hands and the things you will need are listed below.
1tbsp Coconut oil
2tbsp raw honey
1/4 cup of sea salt
1/4 cup of organic sugar
1tbsp of lemon juice
Once you’ve mixed them all together you have something that looks a lot better then the lip scrub, the smell is delicious, plus there is enough for around three applications depending on how generous you are with your usage and it can be kept in the fridge.
The scrub is very rich and thick, you can spend a good few minutes rubbing it into the skin without it being uncomfortable or harsh. I found the more you scrubbed this into your hands the stronger the smell became which was very relaxing and satisfying.
Once washed off my hands felt incredible, they were so soft and smooth. All traces of dry skin had been removed and the coconut oil had left my hands so nourished and moisturised. You can literally wash your hands about thirty times afterwards and they will still feel so soft thanks to the coconut oil.
This is definitely one I will be making over and over again! It’s just so easy to achieve and it really works. I’m going to be using it on both my hands and feet next time.
Last on the list of DIY projects has been the cocoa dream hydration mask, which is said to give a healthy glow and was found on the marie claire website (ingredients listed below)
1/4 avacardo
1tbs cocoa powder
1tbs honey
The hydration mask took a few minutes to make and it reminds me of something that falls out of my dog after he’s eaten a bone and yet smells like warm homemade brownies. This being said beware the kids/animals/husband may lick it off your face!
Application wise this is difficult, I used a foundation brush and due to the masks texture it goes on clumpy, which then becomes streaky and patchy as you try to even out but once you’ve got there it is a comfortable mask that does not irritate as it dries down.
As with the application the removal is messy! The overall effects of the mask seem to have been good. My redness has been reduced and my skin feels soft so I can see how over a period of use how this would give skin a glow.
Hydration wise I did not feel like there were any benefits. I would actually advise using a moisturiser straight after washing off as my skin felt very dry and tight.
Due to the reduction in the redness of my skin (I do get a lot of redness) I would try this again as it’s quick, cheap and easy without causing to much irritation. I will however have the moisturiser on standby for after removal.
So my DIY experience has been a bit hit and miss. All the products I have tried worked to a certain extent (the hand scrub being my favourite and most successful). I think it’s a great idea for poorer times to give yourself a little TLC and each product was so easy and quick to make plus there are so many more ideas available online you could try many different ones.
Let me know if you’ve made any of your own great product, has the process been easy? and did they work? You can comment below or chat to me on twitter @KateL564
Kate x
Links
https://www.marieclaire.com/beauty/how-to/a2830/best-homemade-face-masks/ (Cocoa Dream Face-mask)
https://www.superdrug.com/blog/beauty-manuals/make-lip-scrub (Mint Lip Scrub)
https://livingthenourishedlife.com/want-to-get-soft-hands-try-my-homemade/ (Home Made Hand Scrub found on https://livingthenourishedlife.com/ by Elizabeth she offers many DIY recipes for beauty products and her blog is really worth taking a look at)

24 Comments

1. 28th March 2018 / 12:59 pm

Fab ideas here especially given that it’s not payday yet!!

• 28th March 2018 / 1:02 pm

I know I’ve seen a lot of recipes and just wanted them know if they worked x x

2. 28th March 2018 / 8:05 pm

If the lip scrub plumped as well, it would be perfect.. 😍 I love the sound of the mask as well, because I’m a very red gal! 😂

• 28th March 2018 / 8:07 pm

I know I’d love really full lips but I couldn’t face a needle so will look for anything else haha x

3. 29th March 2018 / 7:22 pm

My skin is crazy sensitive so I tend to stay away from DIYs but this post is amazing. You’re totally right, everyone should be able to give themselves a little pamper and these are such affordable options x
    Sophie

• 29th March 2018 / 7:29 pm

I know I hate some really good skincare can be so expensive so I thought I’d give DIY a go. It’s a messy job x x

4. 29th March 2018 / 7:25 pm

Brilliant tips and at least you know what you’re putting on your face (never heard of some of the ingredients they use in cosmetics!) x

• 29th March 2018 / 7:30 pm

I completely agree with this it is shocking that I put so much on my face and am unsure of what every ingredient is. I am trying to learn x x

5. 29th March 2018 / 7:26 pm

I’ve never tried DIY pamper products before but these sound great and like they’d be really easy to do! The lip scrub sounds perfect for me and would probably be much cheaper than keep buying a new pot from Lush every few months so I might give it a try! The mask also sounds great but I don’t think I could deal with how messy it is!
    Jess // foundationsandfairytales.wordpress.com
    xx

6. 29th March 2018 / 7:31 pm

This is amazing! I have such sensitive skin but using all these ingredients is not going to make me breakout! Love it! x

7. 29th March 2018 / 7:52 pm

This is such a smart post idea, DIY pampering is probably a lot more refreshing than some of the perfume scented face masks so it’s probably a big bonus to make it yourself! Great post. ashianashome.wordpress.com

8. 29th March 2018 / 10:36 pm

Definitely gunna try some of these. They’re cheap but also I’m loving the idea of natural stuff atm. Reading the back of actual products has proper scared me. Love posts like this. I (and I’m sure tons of others) appreciate these little helpful remedies xoxo

• 2nd April 2018 / 5:35 pm

Thank you Hun. It’s a good option if times are hard x x

9. perrinevautour
    2nd April 2018 / 5:53 pm

Love homemade skincare products, thanks for sharing these recipes 🙂
    Perrine

• 2nd April 2018 / 6:01 pm

Yes they are surprisingly good and I like that I know what’s in them x x

10. Lisa's Notebook
    2nd April 2018 / 6:18 pm

I love the idea of homemade products, you know exactly what you’re going to be putting on your skin. And I particularly like the sound of the hand scrub. I’m a keen gardener so my hands are always in need of TLC but I usually just slather on hand cream, I’ve never thought of using a scrub first. Thank you for the tip, I think I’m going to have to try this one out! Great tips, thank you for sharing x
    Lisa | http://www.lisasnotebook.com

• 2nd April 2018 / 6:43 pm

A scrub has been really good for my hands this one in particular is so good the coconut oil really helps protect them x x

11. Bexa
    2nd April 2018 / 6:24 pm

This is such a good idea! I never thought of making my own DIY skincare products. I’m always put off by the expensive price tags in the shops so this sounds like the ideal solution! I love the sound of the hand scrub. Thanks for sharing! 😘 xx
    Bexa | http://www.hellobexa.com

• 2nd April 2018 / 6:44 pm

The ladies blog I tagged below the post is really good for DIY a beauty products and her hand scrub is amazing x x